Sunday 29 January 2012

The art of hello

The first thing that any sales assistant is taught is the golden rule of the hello. Once a customer has entered the store, you have t-minus 30 seconds to greet that customer. Seriously, only 30 seconds. At least that's the way it is within the company that I work for, but the general rule is that no one walks in without a cheery hello.

Now 'the hello' can tell you many things about a customer. A friendly greeting back and a "Well thank you, how are you?" tells me that you're comfortable with me approaching you again later to ask if you need a hand. A polite nod, smile or a quite hello tells me that you know I'm here to help you, but right now you'd like to be left alone. A hand in my face tells me that you have no social skills what so ever. I'm not joking with that one either, I once had a woman slam her hand a mere inch from my face and storm by while telling me to "shut the hell up". She was one of the more special ones.

What can almost be worse than a rude customer is one who develops selective mutism around me.

Me: Hey sorry to keep you waiting!
Customer: (Blank stare)
Me: So you're just after the top today?
Customer: (Hands top over, blank stare)
Me: Let me just pop that one through for you. (Begins to scan and fold top) How has your day been so far?
Customer: (Small grunt/squeak noise)
Me: Oh well I hope it gets better for you! That'll be $49.95, just in cash today?
Customer: (Hands over money)
Me: Alright and here's your change. Your receipt is in the bag, have a nice day!

I'm yet to decide whether these people are being really rude or have some kind of social anxiety. Either way, talking to myself is no fun. Though it does make me wonder how these people get through life without speaking to those in service positions.

One customer I remember distinctly, despite the fact that this incident occurred well over a year ago. She was in an absolute tizzy when she came in, raving about how she needed an outfit desperately for that night to celebrate her birthday. She was incredibly talkative, but seemed really flustered. The first thing I did of course was to try and start a conversation with her about what styles she liked, any colours that she loved, anything that would give me a jumping off point to pull some outfits for her. Now I don't know what the hell happened in the two seconds that I turned around to put whatever I was holding down the on the counter before I started walking around the store with her. For all I know some hooligan ran by and hit her on the head with an iron pole, it's the only plausible explanation I can come up with for her vocabulary suddenly shrinking down to only three words, "I don't know".

Me: So where are you going tonight to celebrate? A nice restaurant or a club ...
Customer: I don't know.
Me: Okay well let's maybe go with something that you can dress up or down, depending on what you decide to do tonight. Any colours or shapes that you had in mind?
Customer: I don't know.
Me: (picks up dress) I think this one would look really nice on you. The way it drapes is super flattering on, and you could pop the blazer you're wearing now on top of it to dress it down a bit if you decide to have a casual dinner. Is this something you like the look of?
Customer: I don't know.
Me: Did you want to try it on?
Customer: I don't know.
Me: o.0 Give me something to work with woman!!!

Of course in these situations theres not much I can do. Usually I just tell indecisive people like this to have a look around, and let them know that I'll be around if they need a hand. This woman ended up leaving the store empty handed, which is little surprise. The real cherry on top of the cake however was the complaint email that was sent through from our main office. The girl had evidently recovered her vocabulary on the way home and decided that her lack of a new outfit was my fault. Of course. The email included some absolute gems;

"She should know what would be best for me!"
"Aren't you guys trained in fashion?"
And my personal favourite, "Was I supposed to spell everything out for her??"

There are just some people that can't be helped.

Love,

Belle





1 comment:

  1. Oh, seems and intresting job! LOL >.< Looking foward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete